Art and Science
The Alexander Tutsek-Stiftung supports art and science. It was established in December 2000 by Alexander Tutsek and Dr. Eva-Maria Fahrner-Tutsek as a nonprofit foundation in Munich. The foundation is deliberately committed to the special, the neglected, and the overlooked.
1. Activities in Art
Exhibitions and Art Collection
In its internationally oriented exhibition and collecting activities, the Alexander Tutsek-Stiftung concentrates on contemporary sculptures and installations using the medium of glass and on modern photography. It regularly presents exhibitions on innovative themes. The headquarters of the foundation in Munich, in a Jugendstil villa in Schwabing that was once a sculptor’s studio, provide an ideal setting. Particular attention is paid to glass as a material and its numerous and new possibilities in art. That also influences the acquisitions for the collection. They include works both by young artists and internationally renowned ones such as, recently, Tony Cragg, Mona Hatoum, Kiki Smith, Pae White, and others. New acquisitions in the area of photography include works by artists such as James Casebere, Stan Douglas, and Robert Rauschenberg.
Supporting Young Artists
In 2016, the Alexander Tutsek-Stiftung launched a large sponsorship program to improve education for students in the field of sculpture with a focus on glass. It includes, among other things, exhibitions of student projects, the production of elaborate works of art, and provide adequate technology for workshops. For example, the Freie Kunst Glas (Free Art in Glass) course at the Institut für Künstlerische Keramik und Glas (IKKG) at the Hochschule Koblenz has been receiving generous financial support from the foundation for several years now, as have the annual exhibition of the glass course at the Akademie der bildenden Künste in Munich and the Staatliche Glasfachschule Rheinbach. The foundation is also devoting itself to various projects for the further education of specific artists who work with glass as a material or in the field of photograph, for example, by awarding scholarships to the Pilchuck Glass School in the United States.
As part of its support for institutions, the Alexander Tutsek-Stiftung has been the primary sponsor of the Haus der Kunst in Munich, which permits substantial, extensive support. In addition to its ongoing commitment, it supports innovative exhibitions on photography at the Haus der Kunst such as Thomas Struth. For the Photography and New Media Collection at the Pinakothek der Moderne, the foundation has funded the acquisition of important works of photography such as recently the famous series The Brown Sisters by Nicholas Nixon. In addition, until 2020 it is fully supporting the three-part exhibition series Fotografie heute – Künstlerische Fotografie im digitalen Zeitalter (Photography Today: Art Photography in the Digital Age). Young artists working in the field of photography are thus given a unique forum in a museum.
2. Activities in Science
For the Alexander Tutsek-Stiftung, supporting research and teaching in engineering is one important concern. Engineering makes the knowledge gained in the natural sciences available in our daily lives and thus represents the technological progress of society. The focus of its funding measures is currently on basic and applied research in the areas of glass, ceramics, stones, and earths. These fields, which provide important insights for other areas of engineering, are increasingly ignored as support instead benefits “modern” fields. To ensure that it does not become a marginal field at technical universities, and to make it more attractive to students, universities and innovative research projects are given financial support. For example, for many years the Alexander Tutsek-Stiftung has been funding larger research projects, dissertation scholarships, and more at the Technische Universität in Dortmund, the Technische Universität Bergakademie in Freiberg, and the Universität Koblenz-Landau. It supports the acquisition of high-quality instruments and funds other equipment necessary for teaching.
Supporting Young Scientists
Supporting a broad range of young scientists as specialists and engineers is another important task for the Alexander Tutsek-Stiftung. It focuses on improving educational opportunities. The foundation has donated funds for education in all professional fields related to ceramics, for students not only at universities but also at technical colleges and high schools. In this context, the foundation awards many scholarships as well as funding prizes for outstanding achievements and social commitment from young talents. Since 2019, it has also been awarding thirty Germany scholarships at the Technische Universität in Munich to students of the natural sciences.
If you are interested in receiving funding, please check whether your planned project is in an area supported by the foundation (see Art and Science). If this is the case, please contact us using the form “Request for Funding.”
Please note that decisions on requests are made once per quarter. In general, requests should be submitted at least four months before the start of the project.
Dr. Eva-Maria Fahrner-Tutsek
Chairwoman of the Board
Member of the Board
Dr. Ulrich Wacker
Member of the Board
Foundation Manager, MbA
Assistant to the Board, Art Historian M. A.
Assistant to the Board, Cultural Manager/Art Historian M. A.
Katharina Wenkler (in parental leave)
Assistant to the Board, Cultural Manager M. A.
Dr. Petra Giloy-Hirtz
The foundation is located in a listed Art-Nouveau villa in Munich-Schwabing. The architect German Bestelmeyer (1874 – 1942), who also built, for example, the extension of the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität (Lichthof), designed the villa with a large studio for his friend Georg Albertshofer. The foundation’s temporary exhibitions are held in Albertshofer’s former studio. Albertshofer (1864 – 1933) was a professor at the Münchner Kunstakademie and worked in his studio on Karl-Theodor-Strasse as a sculptor. There he created works such as the fountain for Delikatessenhaus Dallmayr (1912) or the Column of Benno in front of the Church of St. Benno in Munich-Maxvorstadt (1910, together with German Bestelmeyer and Ferdinand von Miller). Many of the sculptures he designed are on view close to his studio, at the Maximiliansgymnasium and Oskar-von-Miller Gymnasium: for instance, on the portals, and in the joint schoolyard, the sculptural group Romulus and Remus.